Each student must possess a laptop computer prior to enrolling in classes at Realtime Center For Learning. The student will be required to bring the computer connected to a stenographic machine to class each week.
Notebook computer with the following features:
Windows 8.1 will continue to be supported only until January 10, 2023.
An Intel i3, i5, i7, or AMD equivalent processor with a speed of 2GHz or higher.
4 GB of RAM or more.
If using CATalyst VP with Dragon Naturally Speaking, 8 GB of RAM or more is recommended.
80 GB hard drive or larger with 20 GB free space.
A Solid-state hard drive (SSD) is compatible with CATalyst.
A USB port for the writer to write Realtime, update the writer dictionary, and update the writer software.
USB-C ports are compatible but require a USB-C to USB adapter.
NOTE: Many Case CATalyst editing commands rely on the Function Keys (F1 – F12), especially the F4 key when inserting format symbols. Many computer manufacturers change the Function Keys to Activity Keys (increase/decrease volume, increase/decrease screen brightness, etc.). This can cause these editing commands to not function. If your computer’s Function Keys are Multimedia keys, consult your computer’s documentation or contact the manufacturer for assistance.
· Case CATalyst are not recommended on Mac Computers
· Stenograph does not recommend using programs like VMware Fusion or Parallels Desktop as these programs run inside the Mac Operating System. This setup can cause issues with the amount of system resources allocated to run Windows, the Mac OS, and Case CATalyst at the same time.
Must be able to pass a keyboarding test at a minimum of 40 wpm. Applicants who score between 20 wpm and 40 wpm will be considered on a case-by-case basis with the understanding that the minimum 40 wpm mark must be obtained within the first 12 months of enrollment in the program.
Not sure how fast you type? Here are some links to online resources to test yourself and improve your skills:
However, please feel free to visit TypingCertification.com to try the practice test and familiarize yourself with how the testing software works.
Availability and Time Commitment
First 12 units:
Meets Thursday nights 7-9 p.m. Attendance is mandatory.
Second 12 units:
Meets Tuesday nights 6-9 p.m. Attendance is mandatory.
Meets Tuesday or Thursday nights 6-9 p.m. Attendance is mandatory.
You must have a minimum of 13 hours available outside of class each week for Units 1-12. These 13 hours must be spread over a minimum of four days; preferably six days as frequent repetition is key to success in this program. Students are required to calendar their practice time for the instructor. A Minimum of 18 hours for Units 13-24 to incorporate required academics to be spread out over a minimum of four to six days.
Internships of 40 hours are completed near the end of the program. The student must be available to sit-in with working reporters during their regular work days.
Applications are accepted by Realtime Center For Learning year-round. Applicants are required to do the following:
Schedule a personal interview with an admissions representative.
- Complete an Enrollment Application.
- Provide an official transcript showing completion of your high school requirements for a diploma or a college diploma.
- Complete a three-minute keyboarding test with a speed of 40 wpm or better, corrected. Test can be taken after Workshop or personal interview. Applicants with a minimum speed of 20 wpm, but falling short of the 40 wpm requirement may be admitted with the provision that a speed of 40 wpm will be attained within 12 months of enrollment.
- Submit a non-refundable application fee of $100.
Successful applicants will be notified via mail of acceptance to the program and must schedule an appointment to complete the enrollment agreement. New starts are enrolled into either Fall or Spring quarters
Realtime Center For Learning, Inc. does not participate in any Federal or State financial aid programs.